Guardian unveils new mobile site
“Mobile is a crucial part of Guardian News & Media’s digital strategy” – Janine Gibson, editor, guardian.co.uk
A new mobile site for guardian.co.uk launches today with an enhanced design, faster updates and a range of new features. The new mobile site – m.guardian.co.uk – is ad-funded, free for mobile users to access on all handsets globally and affirms Guardian News & Media’s commitment to mobile.
New features on m.guardian.co.uk include:
• Live football scores on the home page
• New look and feel, including redesigned article and gallery pages
• Faster updates and enhanced live coverage
• Bookmarking to provide quick links to favourite sections
• More comprehensive content, mirroring guardian.co.uk
• More optimisation for smartphones, including expandable navigation links
• Searchable article and gallery archive
• Scroll through entire articles (pagination removed)
• Keyword pages gathering the latest coverage on topics in the news
• Options to increase or decrease font size
The Guardian’s mobile site originally launched in March 2009. Since then it has become the number one UK newspaper mobile site (ComScore, August 2010) with an average of over half a million page impressions each day (ABCe, September 2010).
This is more than double the number of page impressions the mobile site recorded this time last year, and means that over 5% of Guardian News & Media’s global digital page impressions come from mobile devices.
Guardian.co.uk is the first UK newspaper website to have its mobile figures published as part of the monthly ABCe report because over 5% of its digital impressions come from mobile devices.
Janine Gibson, editor, guardian.co.uk, said: “Mobile is a crucial part Guardian News & Media’s digital strategy, and the statistics speak for themselves in terms of how important being able to access our content on the move is to our readers. The new mobile site – along with a number of other mobile products in the pipeline – demonstrates our commitment to this growing medium.”
Adam Freeman, Director, Consumer Media, Guardian News & Media, said: “The new site is great news for advertisers as well as users. The relaunched m.guardian.co.uk offers our advertising partners new opportunities to talk to a highly desirable audience on their mobile phones.
Through our new high impact home page and channel sponsorship packages we’re making it easier for brands to get involved in mobile advertising, whilst our creative teams have designed a wide range of innovative ad formats.”